Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Trampled Path

Examining your footprints
Outlined in the dirt
I begin to stand up
With my head still faced downward
Looking at the earth

I begin to walk down the path
Of which many footprints I begin to notice
But somehow, out of all of them
I recognize your shoe image

But while I look at these footprints
Outlined in the dirt
I am reminded of another path
One that caused me much hurt

Though this path was not physical
It was emotional
And though you may not be able to see it
Somehow it’s visible

Possibly visible because only I could see it
Or maybe because I was the only one who could feel it
Because like those footprints
This path was also trampled over
The path that I am speaking about is my heart
Me being so naïve, I allowed many to embark on the journey
So if you were to look inside my soul
You would see that it too has been traveled frequently

Many and many times before
Over and over my heart was broke
But then you came along
Your footprint so unique and conspicuous
Who wouldn’t have noticed?

And just as visible as your footprint was in the dirt
It was in my heart
And it was in my soul
Because the day when you approached me
I knew that I could close the door

I could close the door to the path
Of which so many had traveled
But what’s so special about you
Was not only your unique footprint

What was so special about you
Was not even that my soul recognized you in an instant
But what was so special about you
Was that out of all the men who trampled over my heart
You knew that I was innocent

I was innocent because I so desperately wanted to be loved
I so desperately wanted to find someone
Who I could trust
But love comes on its on time
And looking back into my heart I see that you’ve been missed

You came and went like night and day
I had no time to rationalize or so I went astray
Now, I am left alone
And you are gone

So unlike the footprints in the dirt
That can be removed with a swaying of the foot
My heart remains trampled
And your footprint remains embossed on it

Copyright March 16 2010, Moniquea Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment